EP advocating Te Reo Māori through innovative learning tools
At EP we believe in creating lifelong learners and through humanising technology we know we can help facilitate more positive learning outcomes.
This week, aligned with Māori Language Week, we ran our annual Te Reo Māori competition to encourage engagement with the language and bring the fun back into learning.
Participation in this competition is free for all New Zealand schools and we encourage all teachers and students to engage together on a nationwide celebration of Te Reo Māori.
In 2018, EP ran the competition for the first time with 3.12 million questions answered in Te Reo Māori over the three-day period. This year saw another encouraging result, with 2,755,748 Māori questions answered by 6235 students, in 582 registered schools.
We are also very excited to announce that the winning school for 2019 are Te Kura Kaupapa Motuhake o Tawhiuau, who achieved 90,694 points. A huge ‘ka nui te mihi’ from the EP team. You can see the participating schools and results here.
Māori Language Week (Māori: Te Wiki o te Reo Māori) is a government-sponsored initiative intended to encourage New Zealanders to promote the use of the Māori language, which, along with New Zealand Sign Language, is an official language of the country.
As use of Te Reo Māori widens around Aotearoa, EP have been exploring ways to support kaiako Māori, students, teachers and schools to not only offer a high-quality, modern, effective teaching and learning tool, but to model inclusion and advocate for the usage of Te Reo Māori and acknowledgment of tikanga Māori in more schools.
EP have worked with schools and pedagogy leaders to help shape our Te Reo Māori solution and continue to build on our offerings. We are so excited to have nearly 3000 teachers and staff members from schools around New Zealand registered to learn on our online e-learning and teaching platform, in addition to those using EP to enhance teaching and learning in their classrooms.
Successful EP initiatives include:
- – The development of our “Getting Started in Maori” course aimed at learners of all ages who are at the start of their learning journeys
- – A course created for school staff wishing to become more confident with basic everyday Te Reo Māori
- – A focus on accuracy in our language, ensuring that macrons appear where appropriate in our content and communications
- – Developing a wider understanding of kura kaupapa Māori, rumaki classes, and Māori classes in English medium schools so that we work with each kaiako in a way that meets their needs
- – Exploring ways to incorporate Te Reo Māori and Te Ao Māori into our content for other subject areas
As for our pipeline, there are many developments ahead including:
- – Additional engaging content for students
- – Extending our school and staff courses to the businesses and the wider community
- – Focusing on linguistically and culturally appropriate communications and content development, across more subjects on the EP platform
At EP we strive to inspire learning and as we continue to invest in our Māori offering, we hope to encourage more Māori lifelong learners, everywhere.
If you are interested in expanding your Māori knowledge, or learning more about using EP to help with teaching Māori, then please get in touch with our team to find out more: email@example.com